Monday, November 01, 2004

Bush Loses...by a huge margin

I stand by this headline even though the pools have yet to open. How can I be so sure. Well, I attribute it to what I have learned as a Red Sox fan.

For my whole life, growing up in New England, I have believed in two things:

1.) At the beginning of every season, that this will be the year that the Red Sox will win the World Series
2.) The Yankees suck.

Now over the course of my 32 years, the facts to support these truisms have ebbed and flowed. It has not been until this year with the Sox taking the championship after beating the Yanks, that these two statements have been unequivocally been proven true. And it is retroactive, meaning that the years that the Red Sox finished not even close to the lead in the pennant race and the Yankees led the division, don't count. 2004 proved that we will win the World Series and that the Yankees suck.

So how does that relate to the current election? Well, keep the above scenario in mind. First of all Bush and a candidate that is not Bush (Gore in 2000, Kerry in 2004). Now, in 2000 Bush was appointed President even though he lost the popular election. He used all means available to make sure he won. He used all resources available to him(money, his brother the governor of Florida, etc.) to make sure he had an unfair advantage over his opponent. This is much like Steinbrenner and the Yankees. Just Like George W., George S. has used all his resources to assemble a team that on paper far surpasses the competition. He will stop at nothing to win.

So here we have the next election, and already there are reports of manipulating the voting system are being reported. And although close, the candidate that is not Bush (Kerry) is behind in the poles. So being a Red Sox fan, and facing mounting evidence that W will once again claim the title that he has manipulated in to getting, I dig down deep and say the political equivalent to "The Red Sox will win the World Series this year" and go on record and "Kerry will win the election"

Authors caveat: It is hard for me to compare Kerry to the Red Sox as I am by no means a fan of Kerry's. It took all my strength to cast my vote for him. But my fear of another 4 years with W won over my want of voting for a 3rd party candidate. If Kerry had perhaps shown any of the heart of the Red Sox (or for that manner showed any passion at all for his vision for a future) I might be able to get excited to vote for him. But I will settle for Bush losing.

No comments: