Thursday, November 03, 2005

Trapped in the Boondocks

I have to apologize for the failure to update for the past few months. I would love to tell you it was due to a pilgrimage to Nepal to learn ancient blogging arts to combat evil and bring the funny, but really I have been uninspired to write anything.

However, tonight I have been inspired to write, and I hope you in turn will be inspired to do two things which I will list later.

So why now I am I posting, you ask with baited breath?

Well because this Sunday night at 11:00 eastern time, the next great television show premieres. Aaron McGruder's "The Boondocks" airs on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

Never heard of "The Boondocks"? Well you have a lot of catching up to do. The Boondocks is a comic strip involving two kids living with their grandfather. 10 year old Huey is how I imagine a pre-teen Calvin of "Calvin and Hobbes" would turn out. Politically astute, and well spoken; Huey points out the ridiculousness of today's society in a way that is always funny.

His 8 year old brother Riley is a product of the Hip-Hop generation and is a great foil to Huey. Both kids have grown up in the city. However, upon retirement, their grandfather moved them to suburbia and now they most live in a rich neighborhood where the hypocrisy around them knows no bounds.

Based on what I read, the satire in the television show will not be as current as the strip (each episode has been in development for over a year). However it sounds like it takes the issues head on. The people at Cartoon Network gave them full creative control and, from what I have read and seen, they have used it.

If you are curious about this great comic strip and show, check out the following links:

The Comic Strip
The TV Show
A Review
Some Reading


Now for the 2 things you can do for me that I mentioned earlier:
  1. Watch "The Boondocks" this Sunday at 11:00 pm on The Cartoon Network.
  2. Let me know if you missed me in my long hiatus. A comment or two may just be the inspiration I have been looking for!

1 comment:

khushi said...

Birth of a Nation was great. I'm only sorry it's fiction! I'm also afraid of Boondocks the comic sucking after McGruder starts devoting time to the cartoon, the way "Life In Hell" sucked after Matt Groening started doing The Simpsons.