Wednesday, December 21, 2005

"In the immortal words of Socrates, 'I drank what?'"

I have done a good job avoiding the malls this Christmas season. I shopped primarily with Amazon.com and in little Mom and Pop stores throughout the Western Mass. area.

The other night I saw a store called Plato's Closet. Always on the lookout for a unique shop, I did a drive by, totally expecting a store featuring puzzles, mind games, etc. This to me would make sense. Plato the philosopher would appreciate a shop with "heady" items like puzzles.

To my surprise, it was a used clothing store, apparently aimed at young adults. A sign prominently displayed, announcing they not only sold but would buy your old clothing.

It then came to me:

This store must be named for the late Dana Plato, star of the eighties sitcom Diff'rent Strokes.

In the end she succumbed to drug abuse. I imagine she probably sold a lot of her clothes to buy smack.

I found this store's homage to be a little distasteful. I kept on driving.

No comments: