Sunday, August 29, 2004

Paying an old debt...

God this summer has gone by fast. I was excited to see my students come back last week, but it was bittersweet as it signals the end of my chance to breathe.

However the fall is looking great, and I am scheduling a trip to visit my friend Shannon in North Carolina in October. This visit is long over due, as she has been up to visit me 5 times since I left NC 2 years ago and this will be my first visit back to see her. As much as I was excited to move back home, leaving Shannon in Wilmington was very difficult. I am really glad we have stayed as close as we are.

Because I am in a Shannon state of mind, I am finally going to relate a story here that I owe her. Shannon, hope you like it. You waited long enough for it.

One morning, in fall of last year I woke up to a scratching at my window. Scratching noises are not that uncommon as at the time I was pretty sure a squirrel had gotten into a crawlspace above my apartment. I would usually hear little feet scrambling back and forth in the crawl space and quickly learned to tune it out.

This morning the sound was different. It was definitely coming from the window just to the right of my head. I have venetian blinds that were closed. I have to admit I was freaked out as I turned the rod to open the blinds. Half expecting to see a floating decapitated head gnawing at the screen to get in, I was relieved to see that it was only the squirrel, clinging to my window screen. The squirrel however, was freaked out. So much so that he took a giant piss on the outside of my window. My window was bombarded with a yellow stream and I think I stood there laughing for quite awhile.


Can't wait to see you!


Ian

My favorite picture of my Wilmington friends.








No comments: