Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Touche!

I have been paying very little attention to the Olympics. I am not very sports minded and most athletic events bore me. Make the sporting event last two weeks and root canal surgery is looking like a pretty good alternative. I do however tune in every once in awhile to see if there is any major developments that I should be aware of. Usually this is not who won or lost, but injury footage, major scandal, etc.

In my daily update, I did see the women's saber competition (fencing). Now, I had always associated fencing with Errol Flynn movies, or for our younger readers, Inigo Montoya in "The Princess Bride".
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die."

Lance and parry for a while and then disarm your opponent doing that cool twirling of your sword. This apparently is not the Olympic version. Basically it is thrust you sword at your opponent and hopefully touch them before they touch you. Each round last on average .8 seconds. Basically, it is an Olympic version of "Not it". God knows I have no room to judge, but man that is a lot of paraphanalia and hoopla for glorified "Slap Jack".


No comments: