Thursday, January 06, 2005

We Never Ever Close (mostly)

A new year, perhaps a little more attention will be paid to my blog. The lack of inspiration has been deafening.

Today's entry deals with snow days. Growing up in New England, these little nuggets of sunshine in the dead of winter were forever anticipated but were rare to materialize. I was never a skier and I hate the cold, so after the holidays the only thing to look forward to was spring. However, the grey days between the first of the year and the first day of spring can seem neverending. You literally spend your time racing from indoor locations and dreading the next immersion from the pocket of warmth that you are residing in.

So a snow day, to me, was always a reward for putting up with the deep freeze we must endure. I also thought that snow days were a thing of childhood, a benefit that is turned in upon receipt of your diploma.

Today that was proven wrong, thanks to 5"-8"inches and a threat of ice (the grandaddy of all winter weather threats). That and I do work at a college whose students are still on break and so there really isn't a lot of pressure to stay open.

So as I sit here writing, hot chocolate next to me, the world outside white with snow, I can almost bring myself to say that the winter doesn't suck. I realize that it will eventually dawn on me that I will have to work tomorrow, meaning I will have to go out extra early and chip the car out of the iceblock that has formed around it. But for now, I am remembering the magic of snow days, when I was a kid and all was right with the world.

No comments: