Sunday, January 11, 2009

Everything is status quo

I was tinkering with my profile on Facebook and inadvertently caused a little bit of a stir amongst my friends and family. One of the options on your profile is "Relationship status" and I have always left that field with nothing selected. You see, for me Facebook started out as a work tool for me to keep in contact with the college students I work with and felt that field was irrelevant in regards to my work. However it has since morphed into a tool (addiction) I use in all aspects of my life, so I m looking at it in a bigger scope, but I digress....

Anyways, I decided to list myself as single, which is all fine and good until you see that, for privacy reasons, I only list my name, hometown, and birthday. Now you add "Relationship Status: Single" and it looked to me to be very conspicuous, so I decided to leave that status blank. After all, I have worked hard to create "the Ian mystique", I don't want to ruin it by giving up all my secrets on Facebook, right?

Well, Facebook's feed picked up my activity and posted "Ian Martin is no longer listed as single", which is misleading at best. This started messages coming in from friends and family nosing around for dirt.

So let me clear the air: I am single. When that changes I will most likely tell anyone who matters (and probably some who don't) personally. After all if the is one thing I have learned this year, it is you have to be very careful with the Facebook relationship status, as this clip from the Big Bang Theory points out:

No comments: