Monday, June 14, 2004

The magic of the media

***Rant On***

Every morning I get my headline news from My Yahoo. If you are not familiar with this section of yahoo, it is what is known as a portal. With a portal, the content that is displayed on your screen can be customized. I like my news to be tempered by pop culture happenings, so I have a lot of news/politics and entertainment. This allows for you to see two or three headlines from what I would say are the top 5 or 6 major media (The AP, Reuters, MSNBC, CNN, etc.) all in one glance.

With the headlines from different sources diplayed like this, it has been easy for me to see the inconsistency of what is being reported. While I know that there is going to be two sides to every story, you would think that the media sources could at least agree on if a movie did well over the course of a weekend. Where is the confusion in that?

Yahoo! News - 'Harry Potter' Loses Potency Atop U.S. Box Office

Yahoo! News - "Potter" Magic Holds Up

How can I figure out what exactly is going on in the world, if the media can't even figure out if Harry Potter did well at the weekend boxoffice? Just a friendly reminder that you have to do more than site an article to understand what is really going on.

***Rant Off***

No comments: