Friday, July 02, 2004

To pee or not to pee....

I am very aware that I am writing a second post about my cats in the first month of this blog. As pathetic as that must make me seem, I am choosing to share as I have totally bored my friends and family with the details of the following dilemma. Besides they already know I am pathetic...

As a part of my morning routine, I feed the damn cats. They start getting excited as soon as I get out of the shower. They follow me to every room until I get them food. When I finally get the food for them, they just look at it and walk away like they couldn't be bothered. It is a dance that we do, and it leaves me baffled.

This morning, I realized that I did not have enough to get them through the holiday weekend. One of them, Raleigh, is on a prescription diet. You see, he is prone to not peeing. He has a condition that for any number of reasons, his urinary tract gets blocked. Of course this has only happened once. The vet said it could be caused by diet, stress, or just a fluke. So, as a result, the cat needs to be on a special, prescription only diet. I have to go to a pet pharmacist and get a 40 pound bag for $40 every few months. Short of giving the cat kitty stress balls and playing Yanni all day to create a relaxing atmosphere, the food is my best option.

Now, after discovering that I am close to being out of food for the animals, I called the pharmacist and ordered a refill. He informed me that the cat was out of refills and needed a checkup in order to get the prescription renewed. I explained that I was out, and after many promises to bring the cat in, he gave me a two week supply (which will last about a week because both cats eat the stuff. This was ok'd by the vet because Durham wouldn't leave the new food alone) The food is fattening, but Raleigh has lost weight on it while Durham, who doesn't need to eat the stuff, has ballooned. I have to ration the food or Durham would really be a house.

Since they will eat this food until the bowl is empty, I can't leave them more than 2 days at a time, making vacations very stressful. My friends all HATE cats and the closest one lives 20 minutes away so to ask them to pop in and look after them is a major inconvenience. A kennel is not option, because the stress of a new surrounding could cause a relapse. I do have an affinity for my cats, but I swear I never signed on for the neediness or the stress level this is causing.

Oh crap.... now I can't pee.

No comments: