Monday, April 18, 2005

It's all uphill from here...Part 1

Back in September I wrote this about my co-worker Molly who, for some reason, loves to push her limits in physical activity. Well, I let my guard down for half a second and the next thing I know she has convinced me that I should participate in a fund raiser for a the Peace Pagoda. Enticing me with the promise of Buddist drumming and vendors, she de-emphasised that the main attraction was a five mile run or a 2 mile walk.

I sort of remember thinking to myself, "2 miles is nothing to walk." So I agreed on the condition that I could find a friend to walk with.

To be honest, I sort of put it out of my mind untill last week when I was reminded by Molly. "Did you get someone to walk with? The event is Saturday." So I enlisted the help of the one friend who I know is up for any challenge, Greg.

So Saturday morning arrives and my alarm goes off at 5:55 am. The plan is to meet everyone at 8:15. Greg has crashed at my place so we can make the early meet time. Now, it isn't until the alarm goes off that I realize I am voluntarily getting up at 6:00 in the morning on a Saturday. I contemplate this on the way to the shower and other realizations come flooding in. What if Greg and I are the only people not running? What if Molly and her friend decide to bail? Oh, what have I gotten myself into?

To be continued....

No comments: