Thursday, May 19, 2005

The freaks come out at night

As I have done with the first two installments of the new episodes of Star Wars, I went to the 12:01 am showing last night. I go not only for the movie, but also the experience of being out with the fans. I am by no means a fanatic: no costumes for me, and to be honest, I only know what I have seen in the films. So, while these movies are some of my favorites, I don't obsess on it like some of the more zealous fans do. I do enjoy seeing the films with people who have a passion for it. It ensures the right amount of applause at the appropriate time in the film. It is really a phenomenon that only happens at these early morning first screenings. Plus watching some of the freaks in costume passes the time while waiting for the show to start.

Last night was different. There were 8 of us and we all met up at 9:00 to grab a bite and check out the scene. Upon eating and inspection of the theatre, we decided to head over to a sports bar to kill some time. At 10:30, (an hour and a half before the show time) we headed to the theatre fully anticipating to have to jump into a line and wait at least 45 minutes until the theatre would let us claim our seat. We were surprised as we were ushered in immediately to a half filled theatre.

I can't say that I was disappointed to not have to wait in line, but a small part of me wishes that we did have to put some time into standing in line. It is part of the experience and really that is what these outings are for me. The movie could be a disappointment, but the experience makes it worth it, listening to the over-analyzed diatribes of people obsessed with the films, some in elaborate costumes. It is really something to experience. I even intended to snap some pics to post here, but the absence of a line made that part of the evening moot.

So we claimed are seats and waited 90 minutes in the hottest theatre I have ever been in. It was "Africa hot" or "Hotter than the hinges of Hell" (I'll let you pick your metaphor). Only a few folks had costumes (mostly cloaks and capes). Overall, it was pretty tame.

Luckily any disappointment that I had in the lack of pre-show craziness was offset by what was the best film of this new series, tying in new to old in the appropriate manner. I am not going to comment on it, because the 'net is full of reviews of the movie these days, but for those who have been jaded by the last two volumes, give this one a chance. I think you will like it.

By the time the film ended I was doused in sweat (because of the movie, or more likely the freaking hot theatre!) and a feeling of satisfaction that I had not experienced with the first two.

As I drove home at 2:30, I noted how pleased I was with my decision to stay up for the first show. I then realized that I was even more psyched about my decision as I had taken the following day off from work. I always forget how much being a fan kicks your ass!

Nai

No comments: