Tuesday, May 10, 2005

"Is this the Real Life? Is this just fantasy?"

I have spent most of my life disinterested in sports of any kind. That is not to say I didn't try as a child. Soccer and basketball were attempted for a season, baseball for 2. I was forced to abandon these activities because I found it interfered with my ability to fit in the 4 hours of T.V. that was a huge part of my daily routine.

So now, when most of my male friends discuss (read: obsess) on sports and reciting statistics ad nauseum, I am lost. Sure I can counter with "The reason Don Knotts (Barney Fife) left 'The Andy Griffith Show' was he had understood that Andy Griffith would not do more than 5 seasons so he signed a film contract and was obligated to leave even when Andy Griffith continued" and other nuggets of pop culture history.

However, it is very hard to avoid sports and I am mellowing with age. So when I investigated Yahoo's fantasy league baseball, I saw an opportunity to make something I find to be a rather dull spectator sport and add some participation. Now I can obsess with the best of them. I am memorizing stats, researching players, and in 3rd place, actually competitive so far. I have to admit I am hooked.

So to all my "I Can't Bunt" league mates, I give you fair warning: The manager of the Raleigh Durhams just may be the longshot this season.

No comments: