Monday, June 13, 2005

An Open Letter to the Michael Jackson Jury

Congratulations, your four months of jury is up and you can return to your respective lives. Before you do, I was hoping I could get one question answered. I have a feeling that if I don't ask, it might really nag at me, so I just better ask it. This has happened to me before, and I never asked the question. I have regretted it ever since. In fact, I really can't look at Orange Juice the same way.

My question is, "How can a grown man, who has admitted that he encourages children to sleep in his bed, ignoring any kind of social boundaries, be found not guilty on all the counts that he faced?"

I mean, ok, you might have believed the defense when they argued that the mom of the accuser manipulated the system to extort Mr. Jackson. So I can see there being reasonable doubt in the most severe charges facing him, but when it comes to the counts of attempting lewd acts and providing alcohol to a minor, can you truly find reasonable doubt? Witness after witness described the inappropriate manner that Mr. Jackson behaved. Can you honestly say all of his motives were just? Even if he was found guilty on the counts that carried misdemeanor sentences, a message would have been sent. But what message have you sent?

I guess I just have one follow up question, "If you had the opportunity, would you let your 13 year old boy spend unsupervised time with Mr. Jackson?"

Thanks for your service to our infallible justice system.

No comments: